We have all heard the saying, “laughter is the best medicine.” And I would recommend you keep your regular prescriptions, as there is some truth to it. If you read my book, The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life, you know that humour is one of the Golden Pearls. It truly makes your life fantastic because it’s side effects last well after the laugh. Laughter can affect you socially, physically, and mentally. The very act of laughing unleashes chemicals in your brain and body that improve your health and relationships.
Social Benefits of Laughter
Social bonding is a vast field of study. Small things such as laughter have a significant impact on our social relationships. One reason is because laughter gives energy to others. As a result, people are attracted to it.
- Improves Relationships: Laughing with someone is a form of social bonding. When you laugh with someone, you grow closer.
- Attracts others: When you laugh, you show vulnerability, personality and most importantly, you give energy to others.
- Builds Romance: When your partner makes you laugh, it helps strengthens your relationship.
Physical Benefits of Laughter
Our brains are wonderful marvels of evolution. When we laugh, our brain releases chemicals or synaptic messages all over our body that help improve our health. Laughter is a good medicine; it gives us medicine.
- It relaxes your body: After a good bought of laughter, physical tension and stress leaves your body.
- Boosts the Immune System: Decreases stress hormones, increases immune cells and antibodies that fight infection.
- Triggers and releases Endorphins: Endorphins make you feel good and help reduce pain.
- Protects the Heart: Increases blood flow and can help against cardiovascular issues.
- Burns calories: 10-15 minutes= Around 40 calories.
- Live Longer: Studies show that laughter may in fact help you live longer.
Mental Benefits of Laughter
What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Laughter builds many types of intangible skills that you aren’t necessarily aware of. In doing so, you exercise mental abilities without even knowing it. This helps to make today’s big problem a mere inconvenience tomorrow.
- Diffuses anger: It’s hard to be angry when you are laughing.
- Strengthens Resilience: If you can laugh at it, you can overcome it.
- Allows you to relax and recharge
- Shift perspective: Laughter gives you a different outlook as your body has been chemically altered in a positive manner.
This Doctor Prescribes Laughter
Maybe you have the outlandish belief that you aren’t funny or that you don’t laugh. Well, here are some techniques that can help.
- Find the Absurd: Life is weird, embrace the follies.
- Be gracious: Gracious people are too busy finding joy to be brought down by the slings and arrows of life. When you are filled with joy, you find laughter.
- Find laughter: Seek it out and join the fun. Remember laughter is one thing you can give to people.
- Watch shows or movies that make you laugh.
I hope I have made a convincing case on how laughter can help and how you can laugh more. Throughout your day, try and take laughter breaks. As Oscar Wilde once said, “Life is too important to be taken seriously.” So, go ahead and laugh!
Share this Post